Friday, April 29, 2011

The Giving Tree

Less than a block from my house there once stood an apple tree. A very large tree decorated with peace flags and a hand painted sign that read The Giving Tree. Every time I’d walk past this tree I’d see a pair of gently used shoes, blankets, or clothing sitting in its shade and warmth waiting to be picked up by someone less fortunate. Considering I live Downtown there are a lot of homeless people in the area who need these items more than I, so I decided that every time I clean out my closet I too will donate to this simple cause.

Last weekend I did some spring cleaning and had some good warm and wintery items. I put them in a bag with a small note and added some fruit. I put my jacket on and walked out my front door with a smile. I practically skipped down the street. I was approaching the stop where the grand tree should be standing, only to find a stump surrounded by wildish flowers with the sign leaning by its side. I was immediately taken back to my days of reading the story by Shel Silverstein. I can’t help to question, did everyone take everything that this tree had been able to offer OR is it merely a coincidence that this apple tree called The Giving Tree had to be cut down?

Either way the spirit of The Giving Tree is still there and I’m proud to be one of the givers.

No comments:

Post a Comment