Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Updated Nook In My Nook....

When I first moved into my new little nook, my main focus was getting my living room in order. It’s still not finished I have some revamping and reupholstering to do but it’s in a place where it’s livable. Off my kitchen is a small breakfast nook which quickly became my office/table/junk space. I had a little table that I shoved in the corner, a crappy plastic 9 drawer unit that’s filled with all sorts of odds and ends, everything from crafty stuff to electronics and important documents. Then I had a big honking black desk. Put these things together and I had a truly ugly room! I hated looking into this room it’s just NOT ME and it's BLAH! Even worse I hated when people would come over and see it from my living room. So it has become my new project.





This space is teeny tiny so I knew I had to make the most of what little space I have. So of course I scouted the boards on pinterest and found my visions from the following pictures.




To kick things off I sold everything so I could start fresh, I love KSL Classifieds! Then off to Ikea I went. I picked up two narrow bookcases and a super cheap desk (I know I will rarely use this so there’s no need for something better) all in white. I put one bookcase on each side of the window and tucked the desk in between. Since my kitchen colors are hot pink and white I decided to carry them over into the breakfast/office nook. I happened to find a chair that’s the perfect shade of hot pink while wandering a store around the corner from my house.



Next I wanted to find a bench that could also be used as a storage chest, so my clutter will be hidden but also living in such a small space I need extra seating. I’ve been searching the stores and internet trying to find something at a decent price. I don’t mind spending good money on good things but until I have a permanent home I just don’t see the point when who knows how long I will keep these items, plus some of this stuff is WAY over priced to begin with. Then while sitting at work one day I remembered my parents still have my old toy box from when I was a kid. So I decided to use that for now. I threw on a few coats of white paint to give it a new look. I considered making a bench cushion but instead I opted to make 3 accent pillows. I have this weird quirk where I buy new bedding every time I move. Therefore I have some extra accent pillows that I’ve been keeping for the right moment. Now is that moment. So I hit up the fabric store and after spending a whole $16 bucks I now have 3 new pillows! Which is great since most accent pillows cost $25+. I’m super happy with them. The gray pillow isn't finished but it will be pretty cool.

Before


After


Now I just need to hang my bike above the bench as an extra space saver and do some accessorizing.. Brand new look for under $150 cash dollars.


No comments:

Post a Comment