Tuesday, February 4, 2014

My Dining Nook

My next project in mi casa was my 'dining room' now in 950 square feet I don't really have a dining room, I have a dining nook. Here is what it looked like when the previous owner lived there.


Of course this just isn't my style. So the first thing I did is head to Home Depot for some paint! Again I like bold and bright so I picked a color called Peacock Feather. The struggle that I would have with painting is that the wall I wanted to paint is connected to the living room wall and there currently wasn't any kind of separation between the spaces. So I had to get creative. I painted my peacock wall and then to breakup the two colors I built with my own two hands a floor to ceiling wine rack!


Basically I bought a piece of wood and cut it to size then stained it. I like a slightly distressed look so I only did one coat of stain and then I buffed the wood and banged it a bit to look a little beat up. I then found 2 iron wine racks on amazon.com, each of them hold 9 bottles. I stack them together and connected them to the board. I then bolted the entire thing to the stud in the wall. WaLa I have a customer, one-of-a-kind floor to ceiling wine rack!

Next I pulled in my buffet table that I had in my old apartment and placed it against the bright wall. I love the contrast of the blue, white, steel and wood colors! I personally think it's a great combo.

I was planning on making floating barn wood shelves to hang above my buffet but then I found an awesome shelf at world market and had to buy it. I hung it above the buffet table and placed a few white ceramic items that help make everything pop.


Please don't judge the mess on the side of the buffet table, it has become my paint storage space hahaha. The overall space is so small that I wanted it to have an open plan but still be functional, this added a lot of storage into my kitchen. Rather than just having a table and chairs (which let's be honest I really would never use anyways) sitting in the middle of the floor.

I still wanted a table though. I was about to buy a brand new one online when I decided to check out the classifieds on ksl.com and I found a cute counter height table with 2 stools for only $40 so I decided I'd grab that and eventually if I want something newer and nicer I can replace it.


The cute little 'LOVE' banner is something I made with my friends over the holidays and just hung it there temporarily. I plan on making a distressed wood sign that says 'HOME' in the same peacock feather color that the other wall is but I want the 'O' to be a heart made out of wine corks. I need to start keep working on my drinking!

It's a simple room but the new look cost me less than $200 and the biggest expense was my $80 shelf from world market.

Tell me what you think of my make over!





No comments:

Post a Comment