Thursday, February 24, 2011

It's getting hot in herre!

It’s 7:30 on Wednesday night and I’m so excited for a little Bikram yoga! It’s been about 1 ½ years since I’ve been able to practice and I’m still worried about my knee. My partner in crime for the night Christy arrives shortly after me, she’s never been and I’m very excited to introduce her to this wonderful workout. We spend a few minutes catching up on life and our adventures, then it’s time for class to begin.

As we walk into the room I’m immediately slapped in the face with the stench of body odor mixed with the heat. It only takes a few moments to feel back at home, and quite frankly the heat is a wonderful break from the cold, Utah climate. We find our spot in the back of the room and do some mild stretching while we wait for our instructor.

The room is getting really full and almost everyone seems as if they’re “regulars” to the class. It’s always interesting watching the people that come to these classes. There are the hippies that love everyone who are just looking for a peaceful 90 minutes. There are the meat heads who I think just want a reason to look in their almost naked bodies in the mirrors while helping to elongate their muscles. Every class there is always a few older, slightly creepy men wearing their speedo’s, but hey they’re working out so that’s great. Everyone is so different, but tied together with this wonderful experience.

Running a few minutes late our instructor walks in and starts rushing us through the breathing exercises due to her own tardiness. We then begin the class. In the past when I’ve done this class the lights have been off and it’s been very serene but that was not the case this time. The fluorescent lights were on and I felt more like I was in an aerobics class with the instructor barking orders at us. Even with the unusual change the class was still great…

About 15 minutes into the class I started to get nauseated from the Café Rio I had for lunch… What lousy timing, I wasn’t able to do all the poses for the full time in fear that I would lose my lunch…. Literally! 26 poses and 2 breathing exercises later it was over. It’s such a rush walking out of the hot, musty room into the lobby where it’s only about 70-80 degrees. I was so relaxed and had so much energy. Christy loved the class too and I’m so happy I was able to introduce her to it.

What a fabulous night AND I get to check “ take a yoga class” off of my Dirty 30 List!!!! WOOHOO

No comments:

Post a Comment