Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Cool Runnings!

I hate running! I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again…. I HATE RUNNING… Now that I’ve gotten that out of my system let me say that I’m trying really hard to like/love running… I really want to be a good runner one day. I’ve been training for this 5k that I’m running in April, I know it’s only 3.1 miles but with my medical history that’s a lot! Anyhow so far I’ve trained up to 2 miles only 1.1 miles to go YAHOO! I’ve also dropped my time down by 4 minutes since I started a couple of weeks ago. Next week I’ll start running 2.5 miles with a 0.5 mile cool down. All of this I’ve been doing in my old cross trainers. I’ve known I need to get better running shoes but I’ve just been lazy, my current shoes are good but just not the best for running.

So I’ve been doing some research for the last couple of days and I came across Vibram, FiveFinger shoes…. I’ve seen these shoes before, but I thought they were mostly for water activities. I had no idea they were running shoes. I read a ton of reviews and here are what people have said:

1. They’re really hard to put on at first.
2. You trip a lot when you first start wearing them.
3. They’re the best running shoe ever.
4. Once you get used to them you’ll never want to wear another running shoe.

Personally I just think they look fun and the fact they can be worn for running, hiking and water sports just make them sound even better. So last night I headed out to REI and I tried some on…. They were really hard to put on but immediately I thought they were the right shoe for me. So I gave in and bought the weird looking things, knowing I’ll get a lot of strange looks at the gym and park. I got home and put them on, it was much easier this time, maybe because there wasn’t 97 people looking at me funny. Wow they felt great! I did some chores around the house and my feet felt awesome. It’s just like being barefoot but with extra griping abilities. I definitely felt that they gave me a much needed pep in my step, I didn’t want to take them off when I went to bed… Don’t worry I did.

I’ve been sick for the last few days so I haven’t been able to test them yet but I’m very much looking forward to it. Here my friends is a photo of these spectacular shoes!!!


2 comments:

  1. I am excited that you are running. Maybe after your first race you will start to enjoy it alot! I used to HATE running too until I ran my first marathon.. Jeff was the same way until he ran his half!!! I'm excited for you to run the race!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Candice!!! I hope I start liking it soon, I think I'm going to run the Dirty Dash this summer :)

    BTW do you get my comments on your blog? For some reason I don't know if they're showing or not....

    ReplyDelete