Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A day in Austin = happy Kristi

Last summer I had the chance to go to San Antonio for work. I flew in on Sunday morning, I’ve always wanted to visit Austin, TX and it’s only an hourish away from San Antonio I made the trek to Austin Sunday afternoon. Austin was amazing, I could easily and happily live there.

A good friend of mine and his cute wife are living there so we all went to dinner at a fantasticly cute place, this place had no indoor seating just a gigantic tree which all of the tables were under, quirky and cute which is just my style. Then we went to Congress Bridge/park area which is right outside of downtown Austin. The view of the skyline was beautiful! We stood on the bridge and as the sun went down thousands of bats that live under the bridge took flight off into the night. It was one of the most amazing things I’ve ever had the chance to see! The best thing about the bats is that they fly around the city and eat all of the blasted mosquitoes, how rad is that!

Anyhow after the bats we went to the legendary 6th street. This is a place I’ve always wanted to visit. What is 6th street you might ask… Let me explain…. Austin is known as the “live music capital of the world” and for the last 25 years they have hosted a huge music event called South By South West (SXSW) it’s kind of like sundance for music. 100’s of bands show up to play and the city is packed. I’ve always wanted to go experience this but I’m yet to make the trip. Anyhow, 6th street is where the magic happens, it’s an entire area that’s a huge bar district. If I were still a drinker I would have been in heaven. So that’s where this picture was taken under the street sign at the best part of 6th Street. Being that it was a Sunday night it wasn’t super busy which meant we were able to just walk around and see all the cheesy and fun themed bars and hear some sweet tunes. Then back to San Antonio I went. I wish I could have spent more time in good ole Austin!

No comments:

Post a Comment